UnitingCare Moreland Hall has renamed to UnitingCare ReGen
Please update your bookmarks and follow this link to our new home page:
Moreland Hall to Launch Drug Action Week 2012 in Victoria
Melbourne, VIC, Wednesday 6th June, 2012 – UnitingCare Moreland Hall, the lead alcohol and other drugs (AOD) treatment and education agency of UnitingCare Victoria & Tasmania, today announced it’s calendar of events for this year’s Drug Action Week (June 17-23 June).
Drug Action Week 2012 is a week of activities held nationally to raise awareness about alcohol and other drugs (AOD) issues in Australia.
Moreland Hall CEO, Laurence Alvis said:
We are very pleased that the Honourable Mary Wooldridge, Minister for Mental Health, Women’s Affairs and Community Relations, and VAADA (the peak body for the Victorian AOD sector), will be joining us on June 15th for the official launch of Drug Action Week in Victoria.
To mark the occasion, Minister Wooldridge will also be launching our new name and brand, together with the renewed funding of our award winning Catalyst program.
The event will also feature a discussion of ‘Roads to Recovery’ by three people who have used our services and the launch of our Position Paper (and supporting evidence) on Recovery-oriented practice. ‘Recovery’ is a term that is gaining increasing currency with service funders and within the AOD sector and as a potential influence on AOD policy and treatment services. Our position paper will highlight the importance of continued discussion on this issue and clarification of the implications for the Australian AOD sector and wider community.
Our recovery speakers are excited about having the opportunity to share their stories. Our Community Choir will be performing on the day, people can take a tour of our programs and there will be a barbecue once the formalities are concluded.
We look forward to welcoming clients (past and present), families, service partners, policy makers and the wider community to celebrate what will be an important day in our history.
Other Moreland Hall activities during Drug Action Week include:
- Friday (15th) – Afternoon Tea for clients and family members at our adult residential withdrawal service in Heidelberg.
- Wednesday (20th) – Awareness-raising by staff and volunteers at Flinders St, Parliament and Moreland railway stations.
- Thursday (21st) – Single Session Therapy Expo, providing a day of single session therapy for individuals and families interested in what can be achieved within this treatment model. Come and try it for yourselves!
- Friday (22nd) National Alcohol & Drug Awards- Moreland Halls Youth Residential Withdrawal service has been nominated as a finalist in the excellence in youth services category.
- Drug Action Week blog and social media campaign regular updates on Twitter (#DAW2012) and Facebook—highlighting key AOD issues in Australia.
For further information or comment please contact Laurence Alvis on (03) 9384 8880.
Background about Moreland Hall: UnitingCare Moreland Hall is the lead Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) treatment and education agency of UnitingCare Victoria & Tasmania. Moreland Hall has been operating since 1970 and provides a range of treatment and education services, including withdrawal and rehabilitation programs, counselling and support in the community and at Victorian prisons, professional development, drug diversion programs, supported accommodation and youth and family programs.
Last Updated on Friday, 08 June 2012 Thursday, 07 June 2012