UnitingCare Moreland Hall has renamed to UnitingCare ReGen
Please update your bookmarks and follow this link to our new home page:
History of UnitingCare Moreland Hall
Originally used as a private home, the original Moreland Hall, a bluestone building, was constructed in 1859. Wesley Mission purchased Moreland Hall in 1922, using it for various purposes including an alcohol withdrawal centre for men, and a residential hostel for young women.
During the 1960s the Methodist Church Conference of Victoria and Tasmania was concerned for individuals and their families with alcohol problems and determined to establish a centre for their treatment and education. Moreland Hall was identified as a potential site, and Wesley Mission (then Central Methodist Mission) was requested to release it for that purpose. Under the direction of the Reverend Alf Foote Moreland Hall was founded as an Alcoholism Treatment and Education Centre and officially dedicated for that purpose on 2 May 1970.
- Dec 1969: Moreland Hall Residential Hostel for girls was closed
- Feb 1970: The property was redeveloped into Moreland Hall Alcoholism Treatment Centre and officially opened on 2 May 1970
- 1971: The Charter was widened to include other drug dependencies
- 1972-73: The Methadone program was established
- 1993-95: The hospital was closed and community withdrawal unit opened
- 1994-95: Outreach Alcohol and Other Drug services began
- 1995-96: 'The Lab' was accredited, the Education and Training department was established
- 1996-97: Tendering resulted in diversification (Prison drug education, outreach & homebased withdrawal established)
- 1999: The Community Residential Withdrawal unit relocated
- 2000: 'The Lab' was closed, Methadone service ceased, and the youth community residential drug withdrawal unit (Gwenyth Williams House) opened
- 2001: Accreditation was obtained, Registered Training Organisation status was achieved, and new Chaplaincy was commenced
- 2002: Community Residential Drug Withdrawal Unit redesigned and redeveloped, Forward Planning undertaken by Counselling and Support which resulted in the appointment of a Clinical Consultant, and re-structure of the Assessment and Intake System. Web site developed.
- 2003: Projects undertaken to measure client satisfaction and staff views, client relations in residential withdrawal services and the rostering and financial costs of adult residential withdrawal services; evaluation of Gwenyth Williams House conducted (this publication can be ordered via our Publications page); Complex Clients project undertaken to ensure an appropriate long term treatment plan was developed for clients identified as having complex requirements; reaccreditation commenced.
- Establishment of:
- Enhanced Playgroup for Drug Using Parents and Their Children project. This is a two-year project funded by the William Buckland Foundation
- Intensive Support Service (ISS) for clients with complex and multiple needs. This is a two-year pilot project funded by the National Illicit Drug Strategy (NIDS)
- Hume Young People's Drug Project in the City of Hume. This is a two-year pilot project funded by the National Illicit Drug Strategy (NIDS)
- A Student Unit in collaboration with the School of Social Work, University of Melbourne with support from the AER Foundation
- Art programs developed in the adult and youth residential withdrawal units
- Moreland Hall was re-accredited under the Quality Improvement Council (QIC) quality accreditation for a further 3 years
- Establishment of:
Last Updated on Friday, 06 May 2011